Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Fez of the Heart: Travels around Turkey in Search of a Hat

    One passage I found particularly interesting was "In its twenty-year transformation, it seemed that Pomegranate had lost more than it had gained, and it was hard to see what could reclaim it." I found this interesting because, although this is about a location, personally I can not imagine losing so much and trying to bounce back from it. I think of things that my make town unique and losing them would be hard for the community. As for the prologue, Turkey changed from it's original ways to focusing on tourism as a big part of their profit. I believe that getting rid of tourism and reclaiming it's past would hurt the country overall.
    There is a clear interaction between economics and culture. The reading states that culturally, nudity was unheard of. Now, nudity is accepted as a factor of tourism, which is huge for the economy. Tourism brings in business which runs the economy.
    I see two sides of tourist destinations in Mexico. On the one hand, there are locations like Cancun which are huge tourist locations simply due to the big "resorty" feel. On the other hand, the museums display great history of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment